Its impossible to consider Christmas festivities without there being a Quiz somewhere to guarantee trouble and strife around the dining table. Here we go . . .
Oh – and no answers. There are plenty of ways to find answers to Quiz questions – some of them are even correct!
Part 1: The Christmas story:
- Why were Mary and Joseph travelling to Bethlehem?
- How far had they travelled from their home in Galilee?
- What are the names of the three Magi?
- Where in the UK sky can you see the ‘Star of Bethlehem’ this year?
- What is the Star of Bethlehem (that you can see in the sky in the UK this year)?
Part 2: The Celebration:
- How many types of bird did My True Love send to me?
- By Twelfth Night, how many birds had I received?
- Where and when is Women’s Christmas celebrated?
- Which Roman festival was appropriated by the early Christian church to create ‘Christmas’?
- Which English head of state banned Christmas and when?
Part 3: Father Christmas:
- Why had I better watch out, better not cry, better not pout . . .?
- Why did Father Christmas choose Rudolph as lead reindeer?
- And who were the other reindeers?
- Where does Father Christmas live?
- Who tells everyone that they gave Father Christmas his red costume?
Part 4: Christmas Panto:
- In which Star Trek film does Captain Kirk quote Peter Pan: (Second Star to the Right and straight on ‘til morning’)
- Which Star Trek film shows Jean-Luc Picard celebrating Christmas at home with a fictitious family?
- Who was a very Bad Santa?
- Who played the title role in the film ‘Elf’.
- Who represented the elves in the Fellowship of the Ring?
Part 5: Christmas at the Movies
- Gimli, son of Gloin, represented the dwarves in the Fellowship of the Ring, but who were the seven dwarves?
- Who was told to ‘Turn Again!’
- Who is Aladdin’s mother?
- What are the names of the Darling children – and their hound?
- Is he really behind me (two possible answers)?
Part 6: Christmas in Literature:
- Which of Shakespeare’s plays is set in the Christmas period?
- Who said: ‘Bah. Humbug!’
- What was his profession?
- Where did the Ghost of Christmas Present take him?
- Who played Bob Cratchit in the Muppets Christmas Carol?
Part 7: Christmas Music:
- In the past 50 years, how many Christmas Number One hits have had the word ‘Christmas’ in them?
- Which singer-songwriter has appeared in the No.1 slot both as a band member and as a solo performer?
- Which is the best-selling single of all time; who performed it and what year was it first released?
- Which baroque oratorio, traditionally performed at Christmas actually premiered at Easter – and in which city?
- Which Christmas song has not actually been banned by the BBC
The Quick-Fire Tie-Breaker:
- What was it that Spike Jones and his City Slickers wanted for Christmas in 1948?
- I was rockin’ around WHAT with Brenda Lee in 1958?
- Who did The Ronettes see Mommy kissing in 1963?