John Bullock Lighting Design (jb-ld) has partnered with architect Ken Morgan (retired partner at Morgan Carey Architects, Poole) to provide pro bono design support to a refurbishment project in Poole, Dorset.
The Baptist Church in Poole has been acquired by Routes to Roots (R2R) for a drop-in resource centre for homeless people in the town, providing very necessary support for the most vulnerable members of the community. With the support of Michael Grubb Studio in Bournemouth, JB-LD has MGS approval to act as an ambassador for the Re:Lit initiative to source redundant lighting equipment for the project.
The building will be re-purposed to provide basic necessities such as showers, hot food, clothing and sleeping bags. It will also offer outreach access to the Poole addictions team, mental health workers, the Poole rough sleepers team and housing asvisors.
Breaking news: councillors in Bournemouth Borough Council are proposing to fine rough sleepers in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole for sleeping in doorways in the town centres. Good work!
There, but for the grace of the gods, go all of us.
If you think you may have luminaires that would be suitable for the project, please email John Bullock for a project prospectus. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Re:Lit initiative was launched in 2013 by Michael Grubb Studio as a way of taking redundant lighting equipment and using it is community projects, saving manufactured materials from landfill and unnecessary recycling.
The Re:Lit Principles
- Use Existing Products
- Superseded lines, old samples, ex-demo kit, outdated LED lamps.
- Products must be safe and hold relevant legal certificates
- No Modifications
- Modifications to products is prohibited (this will create waste)
- Energy Efficient
- Only energy efficient solutions will be used. (LED preferred)
- Increased Efficiency
- Re:Lit solution to be +50% more efficient than original scheme.
- Recycling Is Key
- Any replaced lighting components will be recycled.
- Locally Sourced
- Products will be sourced from the region ie. within the UK
- Control systems preferred for energy management.
A plea on behalf of Michael Grubb and his team – please don’t contact MGS about this project. All of the information sits with jb-ld. Ring 01935 812447 if you want to chat.